Tuesday, March 22, 2011

seeds



Spring is definitely (finally!) in the air. This is the first year I've tried my hand at growing flower bulbs and I have to say I'm really glad I did! There's nothing more wonderful than seeing all the little flower bulbs popping up, as if to promise better weather is on the way. I've been looking forward to warmer weather and sunshine since last September! 

I planted so many bulbs last fall, I'll have flowers blooming all through spring/summer. Because of that, I've really cut back on starting any flower seeds this spring. Instead I'm focusing on vegetables and fruit (tomatoes are fruit right?) with just a couple flowers sprinkled in.

Here is a list of what I'm growing this year:
  • Tomatoes, "Glacier" (Heirloom)
  • Cherry Tomatoes, "Garden Candy" (Tri-color)
  • Butterhead Lettuce, "Ruby and Emerald Duet"
  • Sweet Peppers, "Pizza My Heart"
  • Beets, "Touchstone Gold"
  • Spinach, "Bloomsdale Savoy" (Heirloom)
  • Carrots, "Little Fingers" (Heirloom)
  • Shelling Peas, "Little Marvel" (Heirloom)
  • Basil, "Sweet Genovese"
  • Sweet Peas, "Cupid" (Heirloom)
  • Poppies, "California Orange"

There is something really satisfying about starting plants from seed. This year I want to take photos throughout the season to document the cycle, from start to finish. If I can stick to my plan, I'll be posting the photos here. So stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment