Monday, July 18, 2011

I didn't fall off the face of the Earth!



Hello again, it's been a long time! As you can tell, I took a little break from the blogging world. For no reason in particular, just needed a break (and time to get the writing juices flowing again). Anyway, I'm glad to be back and I hope you are too.

Garden Update (sorry I don't have photos, no camera yet! boo): I ended up not having as much space for planting as I had hoped for. There has been a bunch of construction around our house, which has imposed on our area of the yard.

Tomatoes/peppers: I had planned on having at least four tomato plants and two pepper plants, but have ended up with one of each (Tomato: "Glacier" and Pepper: "Pizza My Heart"). They're both planted in my EarthBox and are doing quite well. No fruit yet, but lots of blossoms.

Carrots ("Little Fingers"): I had to pull the carrots early, before they really started forming. The pot they were in got pushed into a dark corner by the construction workers. So I made the decision to just yank them and try again next year.

Lettuce (Butterhead, "Ruby and Emerald Duet"): The lettuce seed mix I got from Renee's Garden was wonderful. I especially liked the green butterhead lettuce.

Spinach ("Bloomsdale Savoy"): I liked the spinach a lot, but I think next time I will plant it in a bigger area (I planted it in a growbag). That way I can plant a lot more of it at once.

Beets ("Touchstone Gold"): I completely missed planting my beets (totally forgot about them, eek). Oops. The package says they can be planted through mid-July though.

Shelling Peas ("Little Marvel"): These have been wonderful. They're still producing as I type this post. I haven't had the chance to eat very many of them because my husband picks the pods and eats the peas like candy. Needless to say, they will be my go-to peas from now on.

Basil ("Sweet Genovese"): Lovely! You can't go wrong with basil and this one didn't disappoint.

California Poppies: I don't know what went wrong with these guys, but they are still an inch tall. I know they're capable of growing in our climate because a neighbor has some growing in their yard. I think maybe they need more room than I have to give them?

Sweet Peas ("Cupid"): I absolutely love sweet peas and this particular type is ideal for container gardening. They smell amazing and are the sweetest shade of pink. I think I may just plant these every year. :)

Overall, this season has been a little bit topsy turvy for me. That's gardening for you! Sometimes you just have to throw something in the ground and see what happens. Then make sure to take notes on what works and what doesn't. Gardening is endless. There's always something new to learn. I think that's what I love about it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment